What is more fun and satisfying than learning how to paint your own house! In fact, home painting is fun for everyone, even when we were kids we used to color the walls of our rooms to express ourselves.
Whether you bought a new home or a preowned one, you will probably need new house painting to match your taste and fit your home furniture. In this article, we will provide you with the tips and tricks of house painting to help achieve your goal.
Choose the color
Start by choosing what color you want: is it a warm or a cool color? Do you want it to be neutral or saturated? How would it match a piece of furniture?
When you have an image of the color you want then pick some shades and get samples for each. Then you need to test the colors and how they look in the room at different times of the day.
You can also check our article Interior color & designs to make sure what colors match and how they affect you.
One of the most important tip on how to paint your home is to get the materials you will use for house painting.
- Paint roller
- Plastic sheeting
- painter’s tape
- drop cloths
- paint scraper
- Easy paint coat or a seal primer coat
- epoxy filler
- Filling blade
- medium-grit sanding block
- plastic sheeting
- Paint roller
- Paint roller extension pole
- Paint tray
- Painter’s tape
Prepare the room
If your house is empty then preparing the room will be easy, however, you may need to paint a room full of furniture. It may take you 2-3 minutes or more to prepare to paint a room so you must do the following steps to be ready:
- Empty the room from furniture or cover them with plastic sheeting if possible.
- Remove light fittings and paintings.
- Cover the floor and furniture that can’t be removed with drop cloths to prevent stains.
- Use a sponge, water, and soap to wipe stains and dust off the walls.
- Leave the walls to dry after the cleaning process.
- Apply painter’s tape to the edges including lights.
Preparing walls for paint
You also need to prepare the wall of a new paint coat if you would like to do it like a professional. To do so you need to do the following:
- Sand walls with sandpaper, and sand the surface to avoid edges.
- Scrap walls if needed with peeling paint scraper
- Use mixed filler and filling blade to fill holes and cracks.
- Sand rough spots to make the wall even.
- Use a primer after sanding and scraping to make an even and solid base.
- You can now start your home painting process.
Now the real question is: how to paint a room or a wall effectively. In fact, there are some very effective techniques to paint your walls, ceilings, and rooms with the perfect color. You need to follow these techniques to help accomplish the mission.
- You need to work from top to bottom when painting.
- First, start with the ceiling and go all the way down.
- Mix the paint and use a brush to paint along with the ceiling.
- Use a paint roller and a paint roller extension pole to paint the rest.
- Let the paint dry before removing tape off the walls and edges.
- You may need to apply a second coat of paint so it will need some time to dry depending on the paint type.
In this article, we included all tips and techniques on how to paint your home and accomplish a result just like professionals.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and found it useful. If you did! Why don’t you read the other article Buying versus renting property: which is right for you? and other articles about different topics on our Bayut blog KSA. You can also leave a comment in the section below if you have any questions for us.